MINISTRY OF HEALTH AND FAMILY WELFARE (Food Safety and Standards Authority of India)
New Delhi, dated the 1st August, 2011
F.No. 2-15015/30/2010 Whereas in exercise of the powers conferred by clause (o) of sub section (2) of section 92 read with section 31 of Food Safety and Standards Act, 2006 (34 of 2006) the Food Safety and Standards Authority of India proposes to make Food Safety and Standards Regulations in so far as they relates to Food Safety and Standards(Licensing and Registration of Food Businesses) Regulations, 2011, and;
Whereas these draft Regulations were published in consolidated form at pages 1 to 776 in the Gazette of India Extraordinary Part III – Sec. 4 dated 20th October 2010 inviting objections and suggestions from all persons likely to be affected thereby before the expiry of the period of thirty days from the date on which the copies of the Gazette containing the said notification were made available to the public;
And whereas the copies of the Gazette were made available to the public on the 21st October 2010;
And whereas objections and suggestions received from the stakeholders within the specified period on the said draft Regulations have been considered and finalized by the Food Safety and Standards Authority of India.
Now therefore, the Food Safety and Standards Authority of India hereby makes the following Regulations, namely,-
FOOD SAFETY AND STANDARDS (LICENSING AND REGISTRATION OF FOOD BUSINESSES),
Short title and commencement
These regulations may be called the Food Safety and Standards (Licensing and Registration of Food Businesses) Regulations, 2011.
These regulations shall come into force on or after 5th August, 2011
In these regulations unless the context otherwise requires:
- “Central Licensing Authority” means Designated Officer appointed by the Chief Executive Officer of the Food Safety and Standards Authority of India in his capacity of Food Safety Commissioner.
- “District” means a revenue district in state and UTs provided that the Commisioner of Food Safety may, for the purpose of this Act declare any local area as a district on the basis of:
- Concentration of specific category of food businesses which may need special attention.
- Risk assessment carried out by the Authority from time to time.
- Any other specific regulatory requirements
- “Licensing Authority” means the Designated Officer appointed under section 36 (i) of the Act by the Commissioner of Food Safety of the state or by the Chief Executive Officer of the Food Safety and Standards Authority of India in his capacity of Food Safety Commissioner ;
- “Petty Food Manufacturer” means any food manufacturer, who
- manufactures or sells any article of food himself or a petty retailer, hawker, itinerant vendor or temporary stall holder; or distributes foods including in any religious or social gathering except a caterer; or
- such other food businesses including small scale or cottage or such other industries relating to food business or tiny food businesses with an annual turnover not exceeding Rs 12 lakhs and/or whose
- production capacity of food (other than milk and milk products and meat and meat products) does not exceed 100 kg/ltr per day or
- procurement or handling and collection of milk is up to 500 litres of milk per day or
- slaughtering capacity is 2 large animals or 10 small animals or 50 poultry birds per day or less.
- Registering Authority” means Designated Officer/ Food Safety Officer or any official in Panchayat, Municipal Corporation or any other local body or Panchayat in an area, notified as such by the State Food Safety Commissioner for the purpose of registration as specified in these Regulations.
- “State Licensing Authority” means Designated Officers appointed under Section 36(1) of the Act by the Food Safety Commissioner of a State or UT.
The expressions used in these Regulations but have not been defined herein shall have the meaning ascribed to them in the Act or as provided in the regulations, chapters and Appendices.