In addition to the functions entrusted to it under the Act, the Referral Laboratory shall carry out the following functions, namely:
- analysis of samples of food sent by any officer or authority authorized by the Food Authority for the purpose and submission of the certificate of analysis to the authorities concerned;
- investigation for the purpose of fixation of standard of any article of food;
- investigation in collaboration with the laboratories of Food analysts in the various States and such other laboratories and institutions which the Food Authority may approve on its behalf, for the purpose of standardizing methods of analysis.
- ensuring that the laboratory follows the scientific protocols laid down for handling/testing the articles of food.
- maintaining high standards of accuracy, reliability and credibility in the operation of the laboratory and achieving and maintaining the required levels of accreditation and reliability.
- laying down mechanism for ensuring that personnel of the laboratory adhere to high professional standards and discipline.
- Such other conditions, as the Authority may lay down for Referral Laboratories.
- Capacity building by way of organizing professional training, workshops and seminars for the Food analyst, laboratory personnel in the states specified by the Food authority.
State/ Union Territory/ Local Area of Referral Laboratory
- The laboratory specified in Column (1) of Table I below, shall carry out the functions entrusted to it by the Act or these regulations in respect of the local areas specified in the corresponding entry in Column (2) thereof.
Table-I Name of the Referral Laboratories Local Areas/ State / UT’s 1. Referral Food Laboratory, Kolkata -700016 Arunachal Pradesh, Assam, Chhattisgarh, Manipur, Meghalaya, Mizoram, Nagaland, Orissa, Sikkim, Tripura, Uttarakhand and Union Territories of Andaman and Nicobar Island and Lakshadweep 2. Referral Food Laboratory, Mysore – 570013 Gujarat, Haryana, Himachal Pradesh, Maharashtra, Punjab, Uttar Pradesh and Union Terriory of Chandigarh 3. Referral Food Laboratory, Pune-411001 Andhra Pradesh, Delhi, Jammu and Kashmir, Karnataka, Kerala, Rajasthan and Tamil Nadu 4. Referral Food Laboratory, Ghaziabad- 201001 Bihar, Goa, Jharkhand, Madhya Pradesh, West Bengal, Union Territories of Dadar and Nagar Haveli, Daman & Diu and Puducherry.
- The certificate of analysis to be provided by the referral food laboratory shall be as per Form A.