Through a notification dated 28 September, 2017 the FSSAI has implemented the Food Safety and Standards (Approval of Non-Specified Food and Food Ingredients) Regulations, 2017. The regulations have come into effect from 11 September, 2017. These regulations specify the procedures, terms and conditions and other criteria that govern the approval of such products. These regulations have been made as the earlier product approval system for non-standardised food products and ingredients was discontinued with effect from 26 August 2015. FSSAI proceeded with the making of the new regulation in pursuance of the order of the Hon’ble Supreme Court which had quashed the advisory system of product approval.
FSSAI has now notified the new regulation for approval of non-specified foods and food ingredients and so all Fool Business Operators (FBOs) that have submitted applications for the approval of their products before the discontinuation of the old product approval system will have to
- Submit additional documents or information as per the requirements of the FSSAI implemented Food Safety and Standards (Approval of Non-Specified Food and Food Ingredients) Regulations, 2017.
- All such FBOs will also have to quote their previous application number
- They will not be required to pay any additional fees
All new applicants who wish to seek approval of non-specified foods and food ingredients will now need to
- submit their application on FORM 1 duly filled out as per the specification of the new regulation
- pay an application fee of Rs.50,000 (fifty thousand only) which will be payable to the Senior Accounts Officer, FSSAI
After the previous product approval system was discontinued by the FSSAI there was much speculation about the procedure for product approval and whether it would be required at all. In about two years the FSSAI has now notified and also implemented the Food Safety and Standards (Approval of Non-Specified Food and Food Ingredients) Regulations, 2017. This will make it easy for FBOs to take approval for food products and food ingredients that need prior approval from FSSAI. The regulation has not only helped to streamline the entire process of approving the non-standardized food articles but also keeps in mind food safety and public health which are important aspects for the Food Regulator.