Through an order dated 29 September, 2017 the FSSAI has notified 16 laboratories under Section (43) 2 of the FSS Act, 2006 and has allotted them their registration numbers. The Gazette notification for the same is dated 10 January, 2017 and the notified laboratories will carry out the functions entrusted to them as referral food laboratories.
The names of the notified referral laboratories are as follows:
|1.||Central Food Laboratory, Kolkata||1/R/FSSAI/2017|
|2.||Food Research and Standardization
|3.||Food Safety and Analytical Quality Control
|4.||State Public Health Laboratory, Pune||4//R/FSSAI/2017|
|5.||Indian Institute of Horticultural Research
|6.||Indian Institute of Vegetable Research
|7.||Quality Evaluation Laboratory, Kochi||7/R/FSSAI/2017|
|8.||Quality Evaluation Laboratory, Guntur||8//R/FSSAI/2017|
|9.||Quality Evaluation Laboratory, Chennai||9//R/FSSAI/2017|
|10.||Quality Evaluation Laboratory, Navi Mumbai||10//R/FSSAI/2017|
|11.||Centre for Analysis and Learning in
Livestock in Food (CALF) Gujarat
|12.||Council of Scientific and Industrial Research
Indian Institute of Chemical Technology
|13.||National Research Centre on Meat
|14.||Indian Institute of Crop Processing
|15||Central Institute of Fisheries Technology
|16.||Indian Institute of Integrative Medicine
Functions of Referral Laboratory
- Analysis of samples of food sent by FSSAI approved officers and sending certificate of analysis
- Investigation for fixation of standard of any article of food
- Investigation in collaboration with other laboratories approved by FSSAI with the intention of standardizing methods of analysis.
- Ensuring that the laboratory follows the scientific protocols laid down for handling/testing the articles of food.
- Maintaining high standards of accuracy, reliability and credibility in the operation of the laboratory and achieving and maintaining the required levels of accreditation and reliability.
- Laying down mechanism for ensuring that personnel of the laboratory adhere to high professional standards and discipline.
- Such other conditions, as the Authority may lay down for Referral Laboratories.
- Capacity building by way of organizing professional training, workshops and seminars for the Food analyst, laboratory personnel in the states specified by the Food Authority.