Through a notification uploaded on 1 August 2017, the FSSAI has invited suggestions, views and comments from stakeholders related to the inclusion of a provision for additional additives in various food categories which will lead to further amendment of the draft notification on Food Safety and Standards (Food Products Standards and Food Additives) Amendment Regulations, 2017
In the Food Safety and Standards (Food Products Standards and Food Additives)
Regulations, 2011 in Appendix A for the food category mentioned in Table 1 and related to Unripened cheese (1.6.1) the food additive Annatto will have INS No. “160b (i), (ii)” instead of the previous 160 (b)
Amendments in Table 2 Appendix A
- In the food category system relating to Vegetable oils and fats (2.1.2)
- The food additive “Natural and synthetic tocopherols” and the entries against it will be removed and substituted with the following “TOCOPHEROLS GMP”
- for the entry occurring against the food additive “ASCORBYL ESTERS”, the entry “10” will be omitted;
- In the food category system relating to Fat spreads, dairy fat spreads and blended spreads(margarine, bakery shortenings and fat spreads) (2.2.2), against the food additive “Sorbitan monopalmitate / sorbitan monostearate/ tristearate”, the entries “495, 491, 492” shall be substituted to replace 495 and 491
Amendments in Table 4, Appendix A
In food category system relating to Frozen vegetables (including mushrooms and fungi, roots and tubers, pulses and legumes, and aloe vera) seaweeds, nuts and seeds (184.108.40.206) for the food additive “SULFITES” and the entries relating thereto, the following food additives and entries shall be inserted, namely –
|Food Additive||INS. NO||Recommended Maximum level||Note|
|Calcium chloride||509||GMP||29, 323, 324|
|Calcium sulphate||516||GMP||29, 323, 324|
Amendments in Table 5 Appendix A
In food category system Cocoa and chocolate products (5.1.3) the maximum recommended level of the food additive “CHLOROPHYLLS AND CHLOROPHYLLINS, COPPER COMPLEXES” has now become “700mg/kg” and will replace the earlier 6mg/kg.
Amendments in Table 6 Appendix A
In the food category system relating to Cereals/pulses and starch based desserts (6.5) the food additive “Carboxymethylcellulose” will be removed and substituted with the food additive “Sodium carboxymethyl cellulose (Cellulose Gum), Sodium carboxymethyl cellulose, enzymatically hydrolyzed (Cellulose Gum, enzymatically hydrolyzed).
Amendments in Table 12 Appendix A
- In the food category system relating to Salt (including edible common salt, iron-fortified salt, iodized salt) (12.1.1) the food additive “Sodium 300ydroly silicate” will be removed and replaced with the food additive “Sodium aluminosilicate”.
- In the food category system relating to Mixes for soups and broths (12.5.2) the food additive “Sodium 300ydroly silicate” will be substituted with the food additive “Sodium aluminosilicate”.
- In food category system relating to Sauces and like products (12.6) after the food additive “Dimethylpolysiloxane” and the entries relating thereto, the following food additive and entries shall be inserted, namely:
|Food Additive||INS No.||Recommended maximum level||Note|
|Propylene glycol alginate||405||200mg/kg|
Amendment in Table 14, Appendix A
- In food category system related to Fruit juices (fruit juices for industrial use, thermally processed fruits juices) (220.127.116.11) the food additive “ester gum” will be replaced by the food additive “Glycerol ester of wood resin”.
- In food category system relating to Concentrates of vegetable juices(concentrated vegetable Juices for industrial use) (18.104.22.168)
- The food additive “Mono-and diglycerides of fatty acids of edible oils” will be replaced with the food additive “Mono-and diglycerides of fatty acids”.
- For the food additive “Nitrogen with INS No.981 will be replaced with the INS. No. “941” shall be substituted;
- In the food category system Water-based flavored drinks, including “sport,” “energy,” or “electrolyte” drinks and particulate drinks, includes carbonated fruit beverages, carbonated beverages with fruit1 (4.1.4,)
- For Food additive “QUILLAIA EXTRACTS” under the column ‘Note’ entry “293, 132” will replace the entry “293, 132, 168”.
- For the food additives “Alitame”, “Neotame” and “Sucralose (Trichlorogalactosucrose), the following note shall be inserted – “Permitted, except for vending machines”
- In the food category system related to Non-carbonated water-based flavored drinks including punches and ades, ginger cocktail (ginger beer and ginger ale), thermally processed fruit beverages/ fruit drinks/ready to serve fruit beverages (22.214.171.124)
- Food additives Canthaxanthin and RIBOFLAVINS and entries against these are proposed to be omitted.
- For the food additive Annatto, the INS No. 160 (b) will be replaced with the entry “160b (i), (ii)”.
- In food category system relating to concentrates (liquid or solid) for water-based flavoured drinks (synthetic syrups for dispensers, sharbat (synthetic syrup)*, squashes, crushes, fruit syrups, cordials and barley water (126.96.36.199,) for food additives “SACCHARINS”, “Aspartame” and Acesulfame potassium” the following note shall be inserted; “Permitted, except for vending machines”.