Through a letter, dated 21 December 2017 the FSSAI has brought to the notice of Commissioners of Food Safety in all States and UTs, FSSAI Authorised Officers and all Central Licensing Authority FSSAI that Creatine Monohydrate is being manufactured, imported and sold by various companies with or without an FSSAI License number under various brands through e-commerce platforms. The FSSAI has also sent notices to various e-commerce platforms Amazon, Flipkart, Snapdeal and Homeshop18 to immediately discontinue the sale and remove Creatine Monohydrate from their platforms and conform to FSSAI the action they have taken.
Presently Creatine Monohydrate is a product/ingredient for which no standards have been prescribed as yet under the Food Safety and Standards Act, 2006 Rules and Regulations made thereunder. Besides this, it has been observed that some FBOs that have valid food licenses issued by the Licensing Authority is selling products in the name of the product containing Creatine Monohydrate. FSSAI has declared these activities by FBOs illegal and unauthorized. The list of the FBOs engaged in the use of Creatine Monohydrate is as follows
- Creatine Monohydrate – M/s Farmcare India Pvt Ltd – distributor, marketer. wholesaler – license central Delhi
- Muscle Crea – manufactured by Sources Nutrasciences and marketed by World of Proteins – No Licence
- Creatine Monohydrate – manufactured by M/s Kudos Nutritious in-state license Rajasthan
- Micronized Creatine Powder – manufactured by M/s Advance Nutratech – state license Delhi
- Creatine Monohydrate – manufactured by Healthgenie India Pvt Ltd – state license Delhi
- Creatine Monohydrate – manufactured and marketed by M/s DF Pharmacy Ltd – Central and State license Mumbai
- Nurocore Pre- workout – manufactured by M/s Lovato health Sciences – imported by M/s MusclePro Nutrition Pvt Ltd – License Central Mumbai
- Micronized Creatine Powder – manufactured in the USA and imported by M/s Bright Commodities – License central Mumbai
- Muscle Blaze – manufactured at Twilight Litika Pharma Ltd. for M/s Bright Lifecare Pvt Ltd – license central Delhi
- Creatine Monohydrate – Imported by M/s Neulife Nutritious Systems Pvt Ltd – License central Mumbai
- Creatine Monohydrate – manufactured by M/s Wellness Q.E.D – Licence Central Delhi
- Crealyte – manufactured by Lactonova Nutripharm Pvt Ltd – Licence central Chennai
- 100% Creatine – manufactured by Mac3Pharma – state license Harayana
The FSSAI has requested its food safety officers to keep a check on the sale of such products as food in their areas of jurisdiction, inspect the premises and firms and verify whether or not products containing Creatine Monohydrate is being manufactured/ sold/ stored by the firms mentioned above. The FSSAI has also asked the food safety officers to initiate action against all the defaulting FBOs who are using the FSSAI License number on the labels of the product and selling the product as food under provisions laid down under the FSS Act, 2006 Rules and Regulations 2011, made thereunder. The FSSAI has also asked the officers to issue notices to E-commerce businesses where these products are available and sold through their portal. FSSAI has asked the officers to forward Action Taken report to FSSAI office.
About Creatine Monohydrate
Creatine Monohydrate is one of the most popular supplements used by people looking to build lean muscle mass, maximize performance and increase strength. Increased creatine in the muscle will increase the performance of athletes as it increases work capacity and improvement in training. Taking the supplement also increases lean body mass.