Our food safety experts replied to the following recent queries through discussion forums:
1. Question: We have a license for Andhra Pradesh as our production unit is in Hyderabad. We want to sell our product to other states, should we apply for all India FSSAI license or not?
1. Answer: If you have your own distribution or sale counters then you have to acquire licenses for each distribution/sale counter. If you do not have your own distribution/sale counters then your distributor will have to acquire a license/registration under the Food Safety & Standards Act, 2006.
If you are operating in more than one state where you have your own sale counters then you have to apply for the State or Central license depending upon the turnover of your food business. Central license will be required for your Head Office.
2. Question: If an NOC has been given for a particular product and if another product with the same ingredients is introduced in the market, with a different name, then is NOC required again?
2. Answer: Yes, NOC is required as the brand name is different, even though ingredients may remain same.
3. Question: A private limited company, which has registered office in Delhi, but no business activity is run from Delhi registered office. However, the business office is situated in Noida sector-18 and from where we run a distributor and supplier business of food items. The turnover is below 12 lakhs. Now my query is which type of registration or license are we required to obtain?
3. Answer: You are eligible only for registration as your company’s turnover is less than Rs. 12 lakhs per annum. For Registration Certificate, you can contact the local food safety officer of the area concerned.
4. Question: Do service providers of post-harvest facilities require FSSAI license? For example fruit ripening chambers which provide ripening services, cold storages, pre cooling chambers providing primary processing of fresh produce for exports.
4. Answer: Yes, you have to register your business under FSS Act, Rules & Regulations. Whether you need a license or registration will depend upon your annual turnover.
5. Question: I purchase Bananas and Apples from different states and then sell them through a rented ripening chamber. What should be criteria of license?
5.Answer: If you are doing business in different states then you have to acquire separate licenses for separate premises located in different states plus you have to obtain a central license for the location of your head office.
If you are doing multiple activities in one premise then only one license is required for all the activities. But if after getting license if you add few more activities to be done at the same place then you have to immediately get your license modified.
6. Questions: I have restaurants across the country, how can I get License for all of them? Is it possible to do it with one application?
6. Answer: You cannot do it with just one single application. The reason, since you will be operating in multiple states so you have to apply for the state/central license from the respective state or the central licensing body based on the qualifying criterial. You may also have to acquire a Central Licensing for the Head Office.
The following links would help you to understand your requirements better:
If you have a query, you can join us through discussion forums: FSSAI Discussion Forum