Through an order dated 6 May, 2019 the FSSAI has clarified the guidelines for the collection of Used Cooking Oil (UCO) by Biodiesel Manufacturers from Food Business Operators through their authorised collection agencies.
Earlier in January 2019 the FSSAI had issued directions for those Food Business Operators whose consumption of edible oils for frying exceeded 50 litres per day. These FBOs had been directed to maintain records and dispose used cooking oil to agencies authorised by FSSAI or Commissioners of Food Safety of States/ UTs from time to time. This order was to become effective from 01 March, 2019 but the timeline had been extended for three months to 01 June, 2019
The FSSAI had meanwhile constituted an expert committee so as to devise a mechanism for enrolment of Biodiesel Manufacturers for collection of Used Cooking Oil. The Expert Committee had discussions and consultations with stakeholders including State Bio Fuel Boards, Bio Diesel Manufacturers etc. Based on the recommendations of the Expert Committee, the guidelines have now been framed for collection of Used Cooking Oil by bio Diesel Manufacturers from FBOs through their authorised collection agencies. The guidelines are as follows
Guidelines for Collection of Used Cooking Oil from Food Business Operators by Biodiesel manufacturers
- The Biodiesel Manufactures that use UCOas feedstock to manufacture Biodiesel and registered with any of the State/ UTs as per clause (xiv) of the Gazette Notification dated 30 April 2019, “Guidelines for sale of Biodiesel for blending with high speed diesel for transportation purpose-2019” issued by the Ministry of Petroleum and Natural Gas, shall be deemed enrolled under Repurpose Used Cooking Oil (RUCO) initiative and approved to collect UCO from Food Business Operators.
- Meanwhile,till the mechanism of registration of Biodiesel Manufacturers is devised at State/UTs level as notified by the Ministry of Petroleum and Natural Gas, the Biodiesel Manufacturers may enrol themselves with FSSAI for collection of UCO from FBOs. For this purpose, Biodiesel Manufacturers must submit the following documents with the FSSAI
- License issued by the Department of Industries and Commerce/ District Industry Centre (DIC)
- Annual return for previous financial year
- An affidavit stating that the company is using UCO to manufacture Biodiesel.
This Provisional enrolment will be valid till the registration mechanism in States/ UTs gets devised as per directions of Ministry of Petroleum and Natural Gas
- The three above mentioned documents namely, DIC Licence, Annual Return and Affidavit must be submitted by the Biodiesel Manufacturers to the Regulatory Compliance Division, FSSAI with a copy to the State FDA/ State Biofuel of Bioenergy Boards.
- The Biodiesel Manufacturers shall authorise the collection agencies / aggregators for collection of UCO. It shall be the responsibility of the Biodiesel Manufacturers to ensure that the UCO collected by such agencies does not go back into the food value chain and is used for the manufacture of Biodiesel only.
- The Biodiesel Manufacturer would issue a Certificate to collection agencies/ aggregators authorising them to collect the UCO with a copy to the state FDA and FSSAI
- A directory of such agencies will be maintained by FSSAI which will be available on the FSSAI website.
- The collection agencies may be enrolled with more than one Biodiesel manufacturer
- The Collection agencies/ aggregators will be required to carry a copy of the enrolment letter issued by the FSSAI to the Biodiesel Manufacturer and a copy of the certificate issued by the Biodiesel Manufacturer authorising them to collect UCO and will need to present the same to the FBO while collecting the used cooking oil
- Quarterly returns shall be submitted by the Biodiesel Manufacturer to the Regulatory Compliance Division, FSSAI with a copy to State FDA/ State Biofuel or Bioenergy Boards so as to enable them to keep a record and monitor their progress. The report shall have information regarding quantity of UCO collected, date of collection, details of FBO from whom UCO is collected and quantity of biodiesel produced from UCO, name of the collection agencies/ aggregator and any other relevant information.
Once the Biodiesel Manufacturer are registered under the States/UT level as notified by the Ministry of Petroleum and Natural Gas, they will not be required to be enrolled with the FSSAI. However, the Biodiesel Manufacturers shall submit a copy of collection agencies/ aggregators’ Certificate authorising them to collect UCO to State FDA and FSSAI so as to maintain the directory of collection agencies/ aggregators.