Through a notification dated 28 June 2019, the FSSAI has issued directions regarding operationalisation of the Food Safety and Standards (Packaging and Labelling) Amendment Regulations, 2019 relating to the labelling requirements for Blended Edible Vegetable Oils.
In December 2018 the FSSAI had published in the Gazette of India the prescribed labelling requirements for Blended Edible Vegetable Oils.
The FSSAI has received representations from various stakeholders who have mentioned their difficulty in complying with the font size.
- In the December 2018 amendment regulations, the “Manner of Declaration” had been amended. Here except for declaration specifying instructions for use or preparation of the product,the size of numeral and letters were not be less than 3mm.”
- Also, the font size of the label declaration “Blended Edible Vegetable Oil’was not be less than 5 mm.
This matter of font size was placed before the Scientific Panel on Labelling and Claims/ Advertisements. After due considerations of the representations from stakeholders, the Scientific Panel has agreed to modify the font size.
The recommendations of the Scientific Panel will be included in the Food Safety and Standards (Packaging and Labelling) Regulations, 2011 as an amendment. However, this is likely to take some time as the due process of notification has to be followed. Pending the final notification of the amendment regulations (given below) it has been decided to operationalise these amendment regulations, with immediate effect, keeping in mind the consumer interest and the need for fair practices in food business operations.
The FBOs must follow these revised regulations with immediate effect but the enforcement of these regulations shall commence six months from the date of issuance of this direction or after final notification in the Gazette of India, whichever is later.
Revised Labelling Requirements for Blended edible Vegetable Oils
The Food Safety and Standards Authority of India, hereby makes the following regulations operational with immediate effect. In the Food Safety and Standards (Packaging and Labelling) Regulations, 2011 in regulation Specific Requirements/ Restrictions on the Manner of Labelling (4) in the category “Labelling of edible oils and fats” (2.4.2)the (revised) amendments are as follows
11. Every package containing an admixture of edible oils shall carry the following label declaration in bold capital letters immediately under its brand name/ trade name on the front of the pack as given below
BLENDED EDIBLE VEGETABLE OIL
| Name and nature* of edible
vegetable oil) ……………………% by weight |
(Name and nature* of edible vegetable oil)……………………% by weight
(*i.e. in raw or refined form)
- For the pack size one litre to below 5 litres, the font size of the label declaration BLENDED EDIBLE VEGETABLE OIL shall not be less than 4 mm with the length of the declaration statement at 45mm minimum. For the label declaration Name and Nature of edible vegetable oil) …………% by weight, the font size shall not be less than 2.5 mm.
- For the pack size 5 litres and above, the font size of the label declaration BLENDED EDIBLEVEGETABLE OIL shall not be less than 10 mm. For the label declaration Name and Nature of edible vegetable oil) …………% by weight, the font size shall not be less than 3 mm.
There shall also be the following declaration in bold capital letters along with the name of the product on front of the pack
|NOT TO BE SOLD LOOSE|