As is well known the FSSAI has been mandated by the FSS Act, 2006 for performing various functions, including the creation of an information network across the country so that the public, consumers, Panchayats, etc. can receive rapid, reliable and objective information about food safety issues of concern.
Therefore, through a notification dated 6 March, 2020 the FSSAI has informed all concerned that it has finalised 1515 ITC-HS codes of imported food items along with the risk categorisation of the same and has shared these ITC-HS codes with the Customs for implementation in Custom’s ICE Gate.
Now the FSSAI has mapped these 1515 ITC-HS codes related to food articles with the Food Safety and Standards Regulations and Food Code System (FCS) so that they may be further implemented in INFolNET.
In order to finalise the same, the FSSAI has asked all concerned to provide their valuable inputs/ comments to the Imports Division by 04 April, 2020 on the following points
- To cross check mapped ITC-HS codes with respective Food Code System (FCS) and FSS Regulation number.
- If any other HS Code is missing from the list, then you must share that information with the Director Imports at [email protected]
- Other suggestions/ comments related to Mapping of the HS Codes may also be sent to the Imports Division.
The List of mapped HS Codes with FSS Regulations and FCS have been listed with category, sub-category and product description and whether the food is high risk or low risk. The food category system the food is mentioned under and the clauses it pertains to in the Food Safety and Standards Regulations and the last column in the listing is for remarks. The full list of ITC-HS Codes may be accessed at
The NOTE at the bottom of the full list the FSSAI states the following
1) List of 1515 ITC-HS codes does not include DGFT‟s restricted and Prohibited ITC HS Codes.
2) Meat and meat products of whales, dolphins, reptiles, primates etc. which are not having vertical standards, have been allocated unique provisional numbers such as 99.7.1, 99.7.2 so on up to 99.7.8.
3) For fruits, unique provisional numbers from 99.1.1 to 99.1.36 have been allocated in column (9) for which only horizontal standards are prescribed in FSSR, 2011.
4) For vegetables, unique provisional numbers from 99.2.1 to 99.1.37 have been allocated in column (9) for which only horizontal standards are prescribed in FSSR, 2011.
5) Regulation No. 2.12 and COA have been given to the products which appear to be proprietary in nature.
Leave a Reply