The FSSAI has issued a Gazette Notification dated 9 July 2020 on the Food Safety and Standards (Food Products Standards and Food Additives) Second Amendment Regulations, 2020 relating to Wheat Bran and Non- Fermented Soybean Products. The FSSAI has made these amendments in the Food Safety and Standards (Food Products Standards and Food Additives) Regulations, 2011. These amendments shall come into force on their publication in the Official Gazette and Food Business Operator shall comply with all the provisions of these regulations by 1st July, 2021.
In the Food Safety and Standards (Food Products Standards and Food Additives) Regulations, 2011, in regulation 2.4 relating to “CEREALS AND CEREAL PRODUCTS” the standards for Wheat bran and Non-fermented soya bean products have been added to the regulations.
2.4.29. Wheat bran. – Wheat bran is the outer layer of the grain. It consists of the combined pericarp and aleurone. It may have adhering endosperm of the wheat kernel. It shall be free from musty and stale odour or sourness and from lumps, dirt and extraneous matter including metallic pieces. It shall be free from fungus or insect infestation. It shall be light brown in colour.
It shall conform to the following standards:
Moisture, % by mass, Not more than
Crude Protein on dry basis (N*6.25), % by mass, Not less than
Crude Fibre, % by weight, Not more than
Acid Insoluble Ash on dry basis, % by mass. Not more than
Acid value, Not more than
2.4.30. Non- fermented soybean products. –
- Non – fermented soybean products are the products, the main ingredients of which are the soybean or soy derivatives or both, (e.g. soybean flour, soybean concentrates, soybean isolates or defatted soya) and water and are produced without fermentation process. It shall have the characteristic flavour, colour and texture of the product without any visible foreign matters in the products.
Soybean Beverages and Related Products:
- Plain soybean beverage:Plain soybean beverage is the milky liquid, prepared from soybeans by eluting protein and other components in hot/cold water or other physical means, without adding optional ingredients. Fibres can be removed from the products.
- Composite or mixed or flavoured soybean beverages: Composite or mixed or flavoured soybean beverages are the milky liquid, prepared by adding optional ingredients to plain soybean beverages. It includes products such as sweetened soybean beverages, spiced soybean beverages, salted soybean beverages.
- Soybean – based beverages: Soybean – based beverages are the milky liquid products prepared by adding optional ingredients to soybean beverages, with lower protein content than composite/flavoured soybean beverages.
Soybean Curd and Related Products:
- Semisolid soybean curd: Semi solid soybean curd is the semisolid product in which soybean protein is coagulated by adding coagulant into the soybean liquid. It may be coagulated using magnesium chloride (nigari), calcium sulphate, calcium chloride, citric acid, acetic acid, magnesium sulphate and glucono -δ- lactone.
- Soybean curd:Soybean curd is the solid product with higher water content, and is made from soybean liquid and coagulated by adding coagulant. It may be coagulated using magnesium chloride (nigari), calcium sulphate, calcium chloride, citric acid, acetic acid, magnesium sulphate and glucono -δ- lactone.
Compressed Soybean Curd. – Compressed soybean curd is partially dehydrated soybean curd, of which the water content is much lower than Soybean curd and has a chewy texture.
Dehydrated Soybean Curd Film. – Dehydrated soybean curd film is obtained from the uncovered still surface of soybean liquid preparation, with or without folding up, which will be dehydrated. It may be dipped in salt solution prior to dehydration.
Tofu is made by coagulating milky liquid obtained from soybean, and then pressing into soft white blocks. The milky liquid may be coagulated using magnesium chloride (nigari), calcium sulphate, calcium chloride, citric acid, acetic acid, magnesium sulphate and glucono -δlactone, reagents either in combination or individually. The product may contain spices or herbs whose standards are prescribed in sub – regulation 2.9 of Food Safety and Standards (Food Products Standards and Food Additives) Regulations, 2011.
(b) It shall conform to the following standards:
Moisture (% by mass), Max
Total Ash (% by mass), Range
Protein (on dry basis) % by mass, Min
Fat (% by mass), Range
2.0 – 5.0
Crude fibre (on dry basis) % by mass, Range
Titrable acidity Max. (as LACTIC ACID) %
Urease Index Value
0.05-0.2 pH Units Rise
- Permitted ingredients for products covered under sub-clause (1) to (4):
(i) Soybean or soy derivatives, or both,
(i) Edible oil
(iii) Edible Salts
(iv) Spices, seasoning and condiments
(v) Other ingredients as appropriate
All the above-mentioned ingredients shall conform to their respective standards as provided under these regulations.
Products covered under Soybean Beverages and Related Products, Soya Curd Related, Compressed Soybean Curd, Dehydrated Soybean Curd Film shall conform to the following standards: