FSSAI’s gazette notification dated 16 September 2020 on Food Safety and Standards (Food Products Standards and Food Additives) Seventh Amendment Regulations, 2020 to amend regulations 3.1 and Appendix A. After taking into consideration the objections and suggestions the FSSAI has made the following regulations further to amend the Food Safety and Standards (Food Products Standards and Food Additives) Regulations, 2011.
These regulations may be called the Food Safety and Standards (Food Products Standards and Food Additives) Seventh Amendment Regulations, 2020. They shall come into force on the date of their publication in the Official Gazette and Food Business Operator shall comply with all the provisions of these regulations by 1 July, 2021.
In the Food Safety and Standards (Food Products Standards and Food Additives) Regulations, 2011 in regulation 3.3 Other substances for use in food products under sub-regulation 3.3.1 Flavouring agents and related substances in Clause 4) Restriction on use of flavouring agents: in the list of flavouring agents that are prohibited in any article of food the following has been added namely 4,5 epoxydec-2(trans)-enal to the existing list of prohibited flavouring agents.
Several amendments have been made in Appendix A under “IV. USE OF FOOD ADDITIVES IN FOOD PRODUCTS”
In Table 1 Dairy products and analogues, excluding products of category 2.0
- Under Food Category System 6.2 relating to Ripened cheese, (Cheddar, Danbo, Edam, Gouda, Havarti, Tilisiter, Camembert, Brie, St Paulin, Samsoe, Emmentaler, Provolone, extra hard grating/sliced/cut/shred ed cheese) the food additive “Pimaricin (Natamicin)” shall be omitted
- Under the Food Category System 184.108.40.206 Plain processed cheese/ processed cheese, processed cheese spreads under Note (column 6), for the entry against PHOSPHATES “Total salt content should not exceed 9,000 mg/kg calculated as phosphorous/ carbonates/citrate/ chloride”, shall be replaced with the entry “33”
In Table 2 relating to Fats and oils and fat emulsions
- Under Food Category System 2.1.2, the food category name Vegetable oils and fats will be replaced with the food category name “Vegetable oils, fats and bakery shortenings”
- In the same category the entry relating to Food Additive “Lecithin” the entry “322 (i)”, will be replaced with INS No “322 (i), 322 (ii)”
- In the same category the entry Food Additive “Monoglyceride citrate”, will be replaced with the Food Additive “Citric and fatty acid esters of glycerol”
- In the same category against the entry relating to Food Additive “Sodium Citrate” the INS No “331(iii)”, will be replaced with INS No “331(i)”
In the same food category, the following food additives shall be added after the existing food additives.
Recommended Maximum Limit
“Lactic and fatty acid esters of glycerol
Mono and diglycerides of fatty acids
Polyglycerol esters of fatty acid
- Under the Food Category System 2.2.2 Fat spreads, dairy fat spreads and blended spreads (margarine, bakery shortenings and fat spreads) the food category name will be replaced with the food category name “Fat spreads, dairy fat spreads and blended spreads (margarine and fat spreads)”
- In the same category under the food additive “SORBATES”, the recommended maximum limit has been changed from “2,000 mg/kg” to “1,000 mg/kg”
- In the same category under food additive “ETHYLENE DIAMINE TETRA ACETATES (EDTA)”, the recommended maximum limit has been changed to 50 mg/kg from “100 mg/kg”.
In Table 5 relating to Confectionary
In the Food Category System 5.3 Chewing Gum against the Food Additive “Microcrystalline wax”, the entries have been changed to the following
Recommended Maximum Limit
In Table 6 relating to Cereals and cereal products,
In the Food Category System 6.2.1 and 6.2.2, Flours and starches the Food Additive
“Potassium iodate” has been omitted
In Table 7 relating to Bakery Products
In the Food Category System 7.2.1 Cakes, cookies, biscuit, cracker and pies the Food Additive “Potassium iodate” shall be omitted
In Table 12 relating to Salts, spices, soups, salads and protein products
In the Food Category System 12.2.2 Seasonings and condiments
For the Food Additive “PHOSPHATES” the entry “26” under Note will be replaced with entry “226” so it will be 33, 226
In the Notes to the Food Additives mentioned in the Table 1 to 15, after Note No. 340 and the entries relating thereto, the following Note No. and entries shall be added
Notes to the Food Additives mentioned in the Table 1 to 15
Only for bakery shortening
Source : FSSAI