In order to streamline the Food Product Approval, where a different application form is required for each stated category, the FSSAI has designed and implemented an Online Food Product Approval System (FPAS) which can be accessed at http://fpas.fssai.gov.in
FSSAI, from time to time has issued advisories on the procedures for obtaining Product Approval. Product approval is required for food products including food ingredients or food additives for which there are no standards defined under Food Safety & Standards Act, 2006. Product approval from FSSAI before licensing is required for products where
- Standards have not been specified under FSS Act, Rules & Regulations
- Are different from the food products category stated in the Regulations
The FSSAI advisory No P. 15025/01/2013-PA/FSSAI dated 11.05.2013 had stated that any new or existing product that is a proprietary food, functional food, Health Supplement, Nutraceutical etc. will need to go through the ‘Product Approval’ process. FSSAI feels that this is in accordance with the FSS Act 2006 which authorizes FSSAI to “ensure availability of safe and wholesome food for human consumption and also to lay down science based standards”.
Food products where the safety of its ingredients present in the product are known and are permitted under FSS Regulations, 2011/Codex and other regulatory bodies like EU/FSANZ/ USFDA etc.
- Will be granted product approval if food product does not contain plants or botanicals or substances from animal origin.
- Will be considered for Product approval/NOC if the food product contains ingredients including plants or botanicals or substances from animal origin.
- PA will be given only after safety assessment is completed
- NOC will be granted to food products in market where license has been granted under previous Act/Orders
- Will be referred to respective Scientific Panels prima facie where safety of the ingredients is insufficient to make a safety determination, product approval shall be granted/ denied on the basis of risk assessment.
- Only authorization of ingredients will be required for products
- if safety of its ingredients and their conditions of use as stated therein and published by FSSAI
- if ingredients are standardized or permitted under FSSR 2011 will not require further safety assessment
Through FPAS, FBOs will now be able to
- Check online, to see if they require to get Product Approval of their products
- Apply online
- Pay relevant fee
- Provide required clarifications
- Track status
- Receive NOC/Product Approval as relevant
FSSAI feels this move will bring consistency, transparency and ease of use to the otherwise complex process of scientific risk assessment of new food products being introduced into the Indian market. The FPAS has been developed by National Institute for Smart Government (NISG) under the aegis of the Product Approval and Screening Committee.