FSSAI has issued directions regarding operationalization of Food Safety and Standards (Food Products Standards and Food Additives) amendment Regulations related to meat and Meat Products with immediate effect. This amendment is related to the Note which is given at the end of the sub- regulation 2.5.2 of the Food Safety and Standards (Food Products Standards and Food Additives) Regulations 2011.
Presently the draft regulations are in the process of being notified and the process of draft notification, consideration of comments, if any that may have been received thereon and so the finalisation of these regulations are likely to take some time. Therefore, meanwhile for the alignment of FSSAI requirements with respect to animal feed with those specified in BIS and DAHD and to address the safety issue identified in the recent quality and safety survey of commodities like milk etc. the FSSAI has decided to operationalise these regulations with immediate effect.
The amendment regulations were related to sub-regulation 2.5.2 Meat and Meat Products in the ‘note’ the following sentence
All the products listed in regulation 2.5.2 under clause 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 shall comply with following requirements:
Has been amended to the following
All the products listed in regulation 2.5.2 shall comply with following requirements:
Also under this “note” (a), (b), (d) and (e) will remain the same but (c) has been amended.
- Notifications or advisories issued under the Drugs and Cosmetics Rules, 1945 as well as by the Department of Animal Husbandry, Dairying and Fisheries concerning use in or consumption of veterinary drugs (antibiotics and growth promoters) by food producing animals or poultry birds must be complied with by the producers or marketers of meat and poultry products.
- Use of genetically modified techniques are prohibited for production of meat of animals or poultry birds.
(c) has been amended from the following
- c) Meat producing animals except poultry shall not be fed with feed containing meat or bone meal including internal organs, blood meal and tissues of bovine or porcine origin materials except milk and milk products.
(c) Milk and meat producing animals except poultry and fish shall not be fed with feed containing meat or bone meal including internal organs, blood meal and tissues of bovine or porcine origin materials except milk and milk products.
Commercial feeds shall comply with the relevant BIS standards, as may be specified by the Food Authority from time to time, and carry BIS certification mark on the label of the product.
- Production or slaughtering or processing of animals for production of meat of porcine origin in the same production facilities where animals of bovine or ovine or caprine origin are produced or slaughtered or processed is prohibited.
- Where eligible meat products are intended to be imported, there should be appropriate inspection and certification procedures in place to ensure all the above compliances before grant of market access.]