In a notification issued by FSSAI on 5th June 2015, the Apex Food Regulator has made some proposals to amend the standards regarding dried/salted and dried fishery products. The proposed amendments once notified in the Official Gazette will be known as Food Safety and Standards (Food Product Standards and Food Additives) Amendment Regulation, 2015
Proposed amendments are to be in regulation 2.6 relating to “Fish and Fish Products” in the Food Safety and Standards (Food Product Standards and Food Additives) Regulation, 2011 in standards for salted fish/dried salted fish. The standards in the 2011 regulation as well as the proposed amendments have been mentioned below. FSSAI will consider objections and suggestions within a period of 60 days from the date on which the notification appears in the Official Gazette.
(1) Salted fish/dried salted fish means the product prepared from fresh wholesome fish.(2011)
Dried/ salted and dried fishery products means products prepared from fresh or wholesome fish after drying with or without addition of salt. (2015)
(2) The fish shall be bled, gutted, beheaded, split or filleted and washed (2011)
The fish shall be bled, gutted, beheaded, split or filleted and washed prior to salting and drying. (2015)
(3) The fish shall be fully saturated with salt (Heavy salted) or partially saturated to a salt content not less than 10 percent by weight of the salted fish which has been dried (2011)
Salt used to produce salted fish shall be clean, free from foreign matter, show no visible signs of contamination with dirt, oil, bilge or other extraneous materials (2015)
(4) The product shall be free from foreign matter, objectionable odour and flavour. (No change)
(5) The product may contain food additive permitted in Appendix A. (no change)
(6) The product shall conform to the microbiological requirement given in Appendix B. (2011)
| Sr. No|
| Requirements |
|1||Water activity (aᵥᵥ) at 25ºC||Less than 0.78|
|2||Salt content (percent Sodium Chloride)||Not less than 12%|
|3||Histamine content, max.||200mg/Kg|
|4||Acid Insoluble Ash on dry basis||Not more than 1%|
The requirement for Histamine content is applicable only for dried/dry-salted fishery products prepared from listed fish species associated with histamine poisoning
Requirement of salt content is applicable only to dry salted fishery products.
To view notification on FSSAI.