Through a notification dated 4 June, 2018 the FSSAI has drafted the proposed Food Safety and Standards (Food Products Standards and Food Additives) Amendment Regulations, 2018 so as to amend regulations under ‘Other substances for use in Food Products and Appendix A’ of Food Safety and Standards (Food Products Standards and Food Additives) Regulations, 2011. It has also invited comments and suggestions from stakeholders.
In the Food Safety and Standards (Food Products Standards and Food Additives)
Regulations, 2011, in the regulation ‘Other substances for use in food products’ (3.3)
In the category ‘Flavouring agents and related substances’ (3.3.1) FSSAI has proposed a restriction on use of flavouring agent 4,5 epoxydec-2(trans)- enal which means that this flavouring agent is prohibited for use in all articles of food. Just like the other eleven flavouring agents already mentioned in the regulation, 4,5 epoxydec-2(trans)-enal also cannot be used in any foods.
Some proposed amendments are related to Appendix A, under “IV. USE OF FOOD ADDITIVES IN FOOD PRODUCTS”
In Table 1(Dairy products and analogues, excluding products of category 2.0)
- In the food category system (1.6.2) pertaining to ‘Ripened Cheese’ (Cheddar, Danbo, Edam, Gouda, Havarti, Tilisiter, Camembert, Brie, St Paulin, Samsoe, Emmentaler, Provolone,extra hard grated/ sliced/ cut/ shredded cheese) the food additive Pimaricin (Natamicin) 235 and all entries for it are proposed to be
- In the Food Category System (18.104.22.168) pertaining to ‘Plain processed cheese/ processed cheese, processed cheese spread’ in the food additive “Phosphates” the entry “Total salt content should not exceed 9,000 mg/kg calculated as phosphorous/ carbonates/citrate/ chloride” will be substituted with the entry “33”
In Table 2 (Fats and oils, and fat emulsions)
- In the Food Category System Vegetable oils and fats (2.1.2) the food category name “Vegetable oils and fats” shall be substituted and will be “Vegetable oils, fats and bakery shortenings”
- In the same food category name, against food additive Lecithins the entry “322 (i)” will be substituted by entries 322 (i), 322 (ii).
- In the same food category name, the food additive Monoglyceride citrate will be substituted by Citric and fatty acid esters of glycerol”
- against the food additive “Sodium Citrate” the entry 333 (i) will be inserted before the entry “331(iii)
In this food category the FSSAI proposes to add other food additives which are as follows
|Food Additive||INS No||Recommended Maximum level||Note|
|“Lactic and fatty acid esters of glycerol||472b||10,000 mg/kg||408|
|Mono and diglycerides of fatty acids||471||GMP||408|
|Polyglycerol esters of fatty acids||475||5,000 mg/kg||408|
In the Food Category System (2.2.2)
The food category name Fat spreads, dairy fat spreads and blended spreads (margarine, bakery shortenings and fat spreads) will be substituted and will become
“Fat spreads, dairy fat spreads and blended spreads (margarine and fat spreads)”
In the same food category
- against the food additive “SORBATES”, the entry “2,000mg/kg”, will be substituted with the entry 1,000 mg/kg
- against the food additive ETHYLENE DIAMINE TETRA ACETATES (EDTA) the entry 100 mg/kg will be substituted with the entry 50 mg/kg
In Table 5 dealing with Confectionery against the entries relating to food category name Chewing gum (5.3), against the food additive “Microcrystalline wax” the entries will be substituted as follows
|Food Additive||INS No||Recommended Maximum Level||Note|
|Microcrystalline wax||905c(i)||20,000 mg/kg||3|
In Table 6 ‘Cereals and cereal products’ the food additive Potassium iodate and all entries for it are proposed to be omitted for use in Flours and starches (6.2.1 and 6.2.2)
In Table 7, in food category system ‘Bakery products’ the food additive Potassium iodate and all entries following will be omitted for use in Cakes, cookies, biscuit, cracker and pies (7.2.1)
In Table 12, ‘Salts, spices, soups, salads and protein products’ in food category name Seasonings and condiments (12.2.2) for the food additive “PHOSPHATES” the entry under Note will be changed from entry “26”, to entry “226”.
In the said regulations, under ‘Notes to the Food Additives mentioned in the Table 1 to15’ after the Note No. 340 and the entries relating thereto, the following Note No. and entries shall be inserted:
|Note No.||Notes to the food additives mentioned in the table 1 to 15|
|408||Only for bakery shortening|