- Grated Desiccated Coconut means the product obtained by peeling, milling and drying the kernel of coconut (cocos nucifera). The product may be in the form of thin flakes, chips or shreds. The product shall be white in colour free from foreign matter, living insects, mould, dead insects, insect fragments and rodent contamination. The product shall have pleasant taste and flavour, free from rancidity and evidence of fermentation. The product may contain food additives permitted in these regulations including Appendix A. The products shall conform to the microbiological requirements given in Appendix B. The product shall conform to the following requirements:—
- Extraneous Vegetable matter – Not more than 15 units/100 gm
- Moisture (m/m) – Not more than 3.0 percent
- Total Ash (m/m) – Not more than 2.5 percent
- Oil Content (m/m) – Not less than 55.0 percent
- Acidity of extracted fat pressed as Lauric Acid (m/m) – Not more than 0.3 percent
- Sulphur Dioxide – Not more than 50.0 mg/kg
Explanation:— For the purpose of this paragraph Extraneous vegetable matter means fragments of shell, fibre, peel and burnt particles.