Brioche Doree to Open Outlets with Haldiram’s
Known as the second largest bakery chain globally, Brioche Doree enters India by opening its first outlet at Connaught Place, New Delhi. Brioche Doree has partnered with HR Bakers for its first store. HR Bakers has been launched by sweets and snacks manufacturer Haldiram’s. This is the first time that Haldiram’s has tied up with a company outside the family. Brioche Doree was founded in the year 1976 and it serves over 200,000 customers every day and operates over 500 restaurants.
Haldiram’s has signed a master franchise agreement with Brioche Doree and has invested around Rs 4-5 crore in it. The company is planning to open four more outlets in Delhi-NCR and other markets, besides the newly opened Connaught Place outlet. In India, the brand in has been curated as a 100% vegetarian avatar but since Indian consumers are experimenting with international cuisine Haldiram’s feels it’s the right time to venture into the bakery business. Haldiram’s is also planning to get more brands and enter into the partnership with different brands from the world.
Restaurants and Eateries in Gujarat To Remain Open 24 Hours
The state government has approved the amendment of the Gujarat Shops and Establishments Act of 1948 so as to enable restaurants, eateries, and shops to operate 24 hours. The Chief Minister Vijay Rupani-led cabinet approved the amendment of the law that imposes time restrictions on the eateries and shops in the state and a Bill for this will be tabled in the Assembly Session that begins on February 18.
The Act restricts shops and restaurants from operating between 12 am-6 am but things could change soon and these entities could remain open 24×7 so the government has decided to amend the Act so as to promote ease of doing business in the state. The move will also generate more employment as the entities are likely to hire people for night shifts, however, it has been clarified that women will not be hired for night shifts at the shops, restaurants and other business entities. About 7 lakh businesses are likely to benefit from this move.
Starbucks to Add Ten More Stores
Tata Starbucks, which is a 50:50 joint venture between Tata Global Beverages and Starbucks Coffee of the US, is planning to add at least 10 new stores in the coming year to take their count to 145 outlets. Starbucks has planned to add more stores because it has been receiving a good consumer response and the next few years could see them adding more stores. Tata-Starbucks has also recently started food delivery through online food aggregator apps like Swiggy.
Givaudan Expands India Facility
Givaudan, the leading flavour and fragrance company has decided to expand its manufacturing facility in India with an investment of Rs.400 crores by opening a new facility in Pune. In recent years there has been an upsurge in snacking habits of Indian consumers and the flavour manufacturing company has seen double-digit growth. The top flavours in India are masala, butter and mango (beverages) and Givaudan has 27% share of the Indian flavours market. Almost 50% of ingredients required for the Indian operations are sourced locally including natural flavours and fragrances like ginger, spices, and jasmine. The company has doubled its share of the natural ingredients business as there has been a shift worldwide to healthier snacking options.
Givaudan has a 25% share of the world flavour and fragrance business where 46% of the business comes from fragrances and the remaining 54% from flavours. In the last few years, the company has acquired several companies that manufacture natural ingredients. The new facility will enable Givaudan to meet the growing needs of the food and beverage and healthcare industry. The new facility is likely to employ 200 people and will strengthen the company’s capabilities in liquid compounding, powder blending, emulsions, process flavours and pray dying.
Zomato to Convert 40% Delivery Fleet to Power-assisted Bikes
Online food ordering platform Zomato is planning to convert 40 percent of its delivery fleet into power-assisted bikes in the next two years. At present, the company has about 5,000 cyclists that operate across 12 cities in India, with the majority of the fleet being in Delhi-NCR. The company provides food delivery services in 150 cities across the country with a last-mile delivery fleet of 1.5 lakh partners. Zomato is working with vendor partners to raise the scale of e-cycle usage, so as to encourage a lesser carbon footprint.