BAKING POWDER: means a combination capable, under conditions of baking, of yielding carbon dioxide and consists of sodium bicarbonate, and acid-reacting material, starch or other neutral material.
The acid-reacting material of baking powder shall be :—
- tartaric acid or its salts, or both
- acid salts of phosphoric acid, or
- acid compounds of aluminium, or
- any combination of the foregoing.
When tested, baking powder shall yield not less than 10 per cent of its weight of carbon dioxide
CATECHU (Edible) shall be the dried aqueous extract prepared from the heart-wood of Acacia Catechu. It shall be free from infestation, sand, earth or other dirt and shall conform to the following standards:
- 5 ml. of 1 per cent aqueous solution and 0.1 per cent solution of ferric ammonium sulphate shall give a dark green colour, which on the addition of sodium hydroxide solution shall change to purple.
- When dried to constant weight at 100oC, it shall not lose more than 16 per cent of its weight.
- Water insoluble residue (dried at 100oC) shall not be more than 25 per cent by weight. Water insoluble matter shall be determined by boiling water.
- Alcohol insoluble residue in 90 per cent alcohol dried at 100oC – Not more than 30 percent by weight
- Total ash on dry basis Not more than 8 per cent by weight
- Ash insoluble in HCl – Not more than 0.5 per cent on dry weight basis
Provided that in case of Bhatti Katha, the ash insoluble in dilute hydrochloric acid on dry basis shall not be more than 1.5 per cent.
GELATIN shall be purified product obtained by partial hydrolysis of collagen, derived from the skin, white connective tissues and bones of animals. It shall be colourless or pale yellowish and translucent in the form of sheets, flakes, shreds or coarse to fine powder. It shall have very slight odour and taste but not objectionable which is characteristic and boluillon like. It is stable in air when dry but is subject to microbial decomposition when moist or in soluble. It shall not contain:—
- more than 15 per cent moisture;
- more than 3.0 per cent of total ash;
- more than 1000 parts per million of sulphur dioxide;
- less than 15 per cent of nitrogen, on dry weight basis.
SILVER LEAF (Chandi-ka-warq): food grade-shall be in the form of sheets, free from creases and folds and shall contain not less than 99.9 per cent of silver.
Pan Masala means the food generally taken as such or in conjunction with Pan, it may contain;—
Betelnut, lime, coconut, catechu, saffron, cardamom, dry fruits, mulethi, sabnermusa, other aromatic herbs and spices, sugar, glycerine, glucose, permitted natural colours, menthol and non prohibited flavours.
It shall be free from added coaltar colouring matter and any other ingredient injurious to health. It shall also conform to the following standards namely:—
- Total ash – Not more than 8.0 per cent by weight (on dry basis)
- Ash insoluble in dilute HCl acid – Not more than 0.5 per cent by weight (on dry basis)
LOW AND HIGH FAT COCOA POWDER means the powder which is the partially defatted product derived from the cocoa bean the seed of Theobroma cocoa L. It may be subjected to treatments during manufacture with alkali and/ or magnesium carbonate, bicarbonate, and with tartaric, citric or phosphoric acids. It shall be free from rancidity, dirt, filth, insects and insect fragments or fungus infestations.The product may contain food additives permitted in Appendix A. It shall conform to the following standards:—
- Total ash – Not more than 14.0 per cent (on moisture and fat free basis).
- Ash insoluble in dilute HCl – Not more than 1.0 per cent (on moisture and fat free basis).
- Alkalinity of total ash – Not more than 6.0 per cent as K2O (on moisture and fat free basis)
- Cocoa butter
- for low fat – Not less than 10.0 percent (on moisture free basis)
- for high fat – Not less than 20.0 percent (on moisture free basis)
CAROB POWDER means the powder obtained from the roasted pods of carob (fibbled carob) of Ceratonia Siliqua (L) Taub. (fam. Leguminosae) and shall be free from husk. It shall be free from any artificial colouring, flavouring, extraneous matter or glazing substance and shall be in sound, dry and fresh condition, free from rancid or obnoxious flavours. It shall also conform to the following standards, namely:—
- Total ash – Not more than 1.2 per cent by weight.
- Acid insoluble matter – Not more than 5 per cent by weight.
- Tannin content – Not less than 0.1 per cent and not more than 0.15 percent.