- The Central Government shall, for the purpose of selection of the Chairperson and the Members other than ex officio Members of the Food Authority, constitute a Selection Committee consisting of –
- Cabinet Secretary – Chairperson,
- Secretary-in-charge of the Ministry or the Department responsible for administration of this Act as the convener– Member,
- Secretary-in-charge of the Ministries or the Departments of the Central Government dealing with Health ,Legislative and Personnel– Members,
- Chairman of the Public Enterprises Selection Board –Member,
- An eminent food technologist to be nominated by the Central Government – Member.
Explanation– For the purposes of clause (e), the Central Government shall nominate a person from amongst persons holding the post of Director or the Head, by whatever name called, of any national research or technical institution.
- The Central Government shall, within two months from the date of occurrence of any vacancy by reason of death, resignation, or removal of the Chairperson or a Member of the Food Authority and three months before the superannuation or completion of the term of office of the Chairperson or any Member of that Authority, make a reference to the Selection Committee for filling up of the vacancy.
- The Selection Committee shall finalise the selection of the Chairperson and Members of the Food Authority within two months from the date on which the reference is made to it.
- The Selection Committee shall recommend a panel of two names for every vacancy referred to it.
- Before recommending any person for appointment as a Chairperson or other Member of the Food Authority, the Selection Committee shall satisfy itself that such person does not have any financial or other interest, which is likely to affect prejudicially his functions as a Member.
- No appointment of the Chairperson or other Member of the Food Authority shall be invalid merely by reason of any vacancy in the Selection Committee.
Leave a Reply