The FSSAI has issued an advisory dated 15 March 2021, addressed to the Commissioners of Food Safety of all States and UTs and all Central Licensing Authorities, regarding checking the scope of testing of primary notified / referral laboratory recognized under section 43 (1) & (2) of FSS Act, 2006 before sending any sample for analysis.
FSSAI has stated in the advisory that it has come to the notice of their office that the samples (including one part of the food sample to be analysed as per the FBO’s right/ request) are being sent to the laboratories that are not capable of testing the said product/ parameter.
The FSSAI has therefore advised that the scope of testing of the laboratory may be checked, before sending the sample for analysis, for any purpose under the various provisions of the Act, so as to ensure that the analysis of the reports are legally and technically valid.
The broad scope and food categories are mentioned in the validity order, on the FSSAI website, However, to view the detail Product vs. Parameter can be further checked by the following steps.
- Open NABL website (www.nabl-india.org)
- Click on the tab “laboratory search”
- Click “accredited laboratories” under the laboratory search option
- Select country, enter NABL certificate No (TC—) TC number is available in FSSAI validity list for all notified laboratories, which is available in the following link: https://www.fssai.gov.in/cms/food-labotatories.php. Further, the search in NABL website has multiple options apart from using TC No. search. By entering the keywords of the laboratory also, it can be searched easily.
- Detail/Record of the laboratory (Name, Address,) will be displayed.
- Click on the “click here to view the scope of Accreditation” details will be available.
- Click the hyperlink “TC-No” (certificate number) where two more tabs are available
- “Certificate of Accreditation” (one page document) shows the accreditation certificate issued by NABL to the labs, including the date of issue and expiry of Accreditation.
- “Scope of Accreditation” (multiple pages) shows the broad discipline, Products and Parameters, test method specification that the lab utilizes for food testing.
Further, in case of any ambiguity or clarification, the same may be sought from the QA Division, FSSAI HQs, New Delhi, directly.
Source : FSSAI