Procuring and preparing food hygienically is as important as serving the hygienic and safe food in an environment that does not cause contamination in the prepared food. The environment and surroundings in which food is being prepared, stored, sold or served should be hygienic and clean. If your food establishment is located in an unhygienic and unclean area, not only will the value of your premises decline but chances of the food contamination from the environment pollution or bad surroundings will rise.
Here in this article we are sharing the common points which may apply to the small/big food establishments, food vending stalls etc.
Make sure that you are keeping in mind these general regulatory precautions so;
- Prepare and sell food in clean, dry areas that are well lighted
- Ensure that a proper ventilation system is in place
- Premises must not be damp or wet but they should be airy
- Remove food wastes frequently from the area
- Ensure that there are no open drains & garbage dumps near your food outlet
- Make sure that the openings of the toilet in your establishment does not lead into the food preparation, processing, display or sale area
- Educate staff not to spit, wash hands/face/body near the food point and do not permit customers to do the same
- Do not allow water to accumulate near the food area nor should waste water run through the area
- Keep separate the cooked food selling areas from those selling the raw foods
- Maintain decorations, flower vases, flower pots properly, so they do not become a source of food contamination
- Make sure that there is no infestation from pests or from either liquid or solid waste
- Food manufacturing units must not have direct access to residential areas
Ideally food establishments should be located away from any kinds of environmental pollution and industrial activities that produce disagreeable or bad odour, fumes, excessive soot, dust, smoke, chemical and biological emissions and pollutants as these can become sources of contamination for the food areas. However, if the food establishment is close to a polluting industrial area then food business operators must make double sure to protect their food establishments from all potential contaminants.