FSSAI has issued a Gazette Notification dated 27 August 2021 on Food Safety and Standards (Fortification of Foods) Amendment Regulations, 2021 related to standards for fortified Milk Powder. The copies of the Gazette were made available to the public to the public on 13 November 2020 and after taking into the consideration the objections and suggestions the FSSAI has made these regulations further to amend the Food Safety and Standards (Fortification of Foods) Regulations, 2018
These regulations may be called the Food Safety and Standards (Fortification of Foods) First Amendment Regulations, 2021. They shall come into force on the date of their publication in the Official Gazette and food business operator shall comply with all the provisions of these regulations with effect from 1 March 2022.
In the Food Safety and Standards (Fortification of Foods) Regulations, 2018 the amendments are as follows
Amendment in regulation 7 Packaging and Labelling
Sub-regulations (4) under regulation 7, has been amended from the following
(4) Every package of food, fortified with Iron shall carry a statement “People with Thalassemia may take under medical supervision”.
Amended to the following
(4) Every package of food, fortified with Iron shall carry a statement ― People with Thalassemia may take under medical supervision and persons with Sickle Cell Anaemia are advised not to consume iron fortified food products.”;
Amendment in Schedule – 1 STANDARDS FOR FORTIFICATION OF FOODS
In the same Schedule -1 clause 3A Fortified Milk Powder has been added
3A: Fortified Milk Powder:
(i) Milk powder, when fortified, shall be fortified with such levels of Vitamin A and D, so that the final reconstituted fortified milk shall comply with the levels of micronutrients specified in Clause 3 of Schedule-I related to ‘Fortified Milk’ when constituted as per the directions mentioned on the product label.
(ii) It shall only be used in the Government Funded Programs for the purpose of preparation of “Reconstituted Fortified Milk”
(iii) In addition to the labelling provisions mentioned under Food Safety and Standards Regulations, the label of Fortified Milk Powder shall also carry the following statement:
- (a) NOT RECOMMENDED FOR DIRECT CONSUMPTION;
- (b) ONLY FOR USE UNDER ______________ (Name of the Government Funded Programme);
- (c) TO BE CONSUMED ONLY AFTER RECONSTITUTION OF THE ENTIRE CONTENT AS PER THE DIRECTIONS ON THE LABEL.
- (d) PACK ONCE OPENED, TO BE CONSUMED ON THE SAME DAY.;
In the same Schedule. the heading 6. Fortified Raw Rice has been amended to the following
- Fortified Rice.