As per the sub-section (1) of the section 92 of the Food Safety and Standards Act, 2006 (34 of 2006), vide notification of the Food Safety and Standards Authority of India, File No. 1-116/Scientific Committee/Notif.28.4/2010-FSSAI(1), dated 27th August, 2020 was earlier published in the Gazette of India.
The draft of the Food Safety and Standards (Food Products Standards and Food Additives) Amendment Regulations, 2020, were published as required by sub-section (1) of Extraordinary, Part III, and section 4.
The purpose of the draft was to invite objections and suggestions from all persons likely to be affected by it, before the expiry of the period of sixty days from the date on which the copies of the Official Gazette of the same notification were made available to the public.
Notably, the copies of the said Gazette were made available to the public on the September 3, 2020;
FSSAI considered the objections and suggestions received from the public on the draft regulations.
The Food Safety and Standards Authority of India made the following regulations further to amend the Food Safety and Standards (Food Products Standards and Food Additives) Regulations, 2011, namely;
Short title and commencement–
(1) these regulations may be called the Food Safety and Standards (Food Products Standards and Food Additives) Fourth Amendment Regulations, 2021.
(2) They shall come into force on the date of their publication in the Official Gazette and food business operator shall comply with all the provisions of these regulations with effect from 1st day of the June, 2022.
- In the Food Safety and Standards (Food Products Standards and Food Additives) Regulations, 2011,— (1) in sub-regulation 2.4.11, in clause (4) relating to ―Formulated Supplements for Children‖, under item (10), relating to ‘Method of sampling and analysis‘, for sub-item (ii), the following shall be substituted, namely:—
A variation of minus 10.0 per cent from the declared value of the nutrients or nutritional ingredients on the label shall be allowed and the nutrient levels shall not exceed maximum limits as specified in the composition tables for sub-regulation 2.4.12 relating to ―Rolled Oats‖, the following shall be substituted;
“2.4.12 OAT PRODUCTS.
1. (A) Rolled Oats.—Rolled/Flaked Oats (Quick Cooking Oats) means the product made from sound hulled oats (AvenaSativa).It shall be free from added colours, rancidity and flavoring agents. It shall be in form of flakes of uniform size having a light cream colour.
1. (B) Products containing oats—
(i) It means the product containing oats as the major ingredient including oat bran, oat flour, oat meal, oat-trim, kilned dehulled oats, Steel cut Oats, Oat flakes (various thickness, which may make them instant, quick cooking or whole oats) etc. These may be made by using various process such as kilning, drying, rolling, slitting, cutting, steel cutting, gritting, de-hulling, flaking, grinding etc.
(ii) It may contains edible common salt or salt substitutes, Dairy products and Analogues, natural and non-nutritive sweeteners, sugar and sugar products, honey, invert sugar, jaggery, dextrose, edible molasses, liquid glucose, fruits and vegetables and their products (including dried fruits and vegetables), cocoa and its products, Coconut and its products, egg and its products, gluten, nut and nut products, cereal, legumes, malt and malt extract, edible starches and edible flours, spices, condiments, herbs and their extracts, seasonings, vinegar, edible seeds, protein concentrates or isolates, enzymes, vitamins and minerals and other nutrients, edible fibres, maltodextrin and any other ingredients as specified in Food Safety and Standards Regulations.
(iii) The grains and other ingredients used in the processing of products containing oats shall be of good quality and shall possess a characteristic taste and odour and shall be free from rancid, musty, sour and other undesirable tastes and odors.
|Parameter||Rolled /Flaked||Products containing oats|
|Moisture % by mass,||Not more than 12.0||Not more than 12.0|
|Ash insoluble in dilute HCl (on dry mass basis).||Not more than 0.1 percent||Not more than 0.5 percent|
|Protein content ( conversion factor 6.25) on dry mass basis||Not less than 10.0 per cent||—|
|Crude Fibre on dry mass basis||Not more than 2.0 percent||—|
|Alcoholic acidity (with 90 percent alcohol) expressed as H2SO4,||Not more than 0.18 percent||Not more than 0.18 percent|
|Uric Acid, mg/kg,||Not more than 100||Not more than 100|